With magnificent views of Sydney harbour, L’Heritage in Chowder Bay, Mosman, specialises in French cuisine.
The restaurant is run by husband and wife duo, Pierre and Sydney-born Alena, with their close friend Julien Audibert-Lebon. Julien, who is a chef of 25 years, began his career in Parisienne kitchens. He specialises in fine dining cuisine and has worked with some of the world’s best chefs, including Dominique Grel, Stephane Vieux, Jean-Michel Guilloteau, Pierre Hermé, Patrice Hardy, and Marc Davis.
Here, Julien has shared his delicious recipe for chocolate mousse.
- 5 eggs
- 110g Belgium chocolate 70%
- 100g butter
- 115 caster sugar
- Pinch of sea salt
- 300ml Pouring cream
- I Vanilla beans
- 40g caster sugar
- separate egg white and egg yolk
- make a meringue with egg white, sugar and salt
- heat up the butter, once simmering, pour into the chocolate then stir until even texture
- fold gently the meringue through the chocolate mix
- let it set in serving glasses
- whip some cream to make chantilly and put it on the top of the mousse
- A biscuit-like ‘Langue de chat” can be added on the top with some Almond toasted.
All ingredients have to be at the same temperature when mixing with each other to get a smooth even texture. When starting the recipe, make sure the eggs are at room temperature.
Chocolate Sauce for all Desserts
- 500g dark Belgium chocolate 70%
- 300g cream
- 250g water
- 250g caster sugar
- 2 pinches of salt
- Bring to simmer the cream and pour it on the chocolate, wait about 30 seconds before stirring.
- In a meanwhile make a sugar syrup
- Make sure all ingredients are about the same temperature before
- Mix the syrup with the chocolate and the cream with 2 pinches of salt
A Little About Julian’s Cooking Inspiration…
Julien comes from Paris and whilst he grew up there, his father’s side comes from Nimes in the South. His grandmother had a little popular bistro in the south of France under a bridge next to a river that homemade French traditional food. He grew up spending his holidays with his grandmother. The meals on our menu are based on the food he ate growing up. They would sit down together and eat snails, beef tartare, chocolate mousse.